Friday 9 May 2008

May Challenge Update

Well, some things are going better than others.

It appears I am not up for the Throwdown. I'm mostly failing at this. I'm sure there is almost as much un-recyclable plastic in the kitchen garbage can as there always was. I've managed to save or re-use a couple things, but this doesn't happen very often. I saved the plastic resealable wrapper from a greeting card to use as an envelope to save seeds when the time comes. I saved a metal closure from my bag of seed potatoes, but I don't know what to do with it yet. It's just in the doo-dad bag in the junk drawer for now. And I've saved a few lids from frozen juice containers to use in my as-yet-unbuilt solar oven contraption. Plus, I've got a cold, so my recycled tissue use is at an all-time high.

Going slightly better is my participation in the Be A Bookworm challenge. I've made some headway in my Pema Chodron book, and have started the Blue Gold book as well.

I'm making the most progress in Sharon's Independence Days challenge, although this is probably due to the fact that it coincides with gardening season in my hemisphere. I've been able to do one of the actions almost every day, on average. I've cobbled together a simple spreadsheet to keep track of what I'm doing when, and that's kind of fun. You can take a look at it here. (Although the format in Google Docs isn't as nice as the original Excel)

I had also planned to write more letters to my elected representatives, but I still don't have anything down on paper yet for those. No word back yet on the letter I wrote to my provincial representative, but it's only been just over a week since I sent it.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to take June off from official challenges, and just try and incorporate the things I'm expanding on from challenges in March, April and May more into my daily lifestyle.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, my hat's off to you for even trying. I knew I wasn't up to the Eco Throwdown. Of course the BookWorm challenge is going much better, lol...

Theresa said...

Ya, the Eco Throwdown has really been humbling. It's really opened my eyes to how much waste I unthinkingly produce, even with recycling and composting. Unless I were to make every single thing from scratch, I will produce some kind of plastic waste.