The big garden is almost done! Looking back, it has been only three weeks since we started dealing with the huge brush pile, and now we have a garden that is of a size that we should actually be able to get a decent amount of produce out of it for ourselves and our two veggie-loving guinea pigs.
You may notice that this garden is right in the ground - no raised beds at all, which was my original plan. It seems like the raised beds weren't meant to be.
It started off when Gord accidentally told the lumber yard to cut six boards in half, instead of three. Then yesterday when our farmer friend came by with his small tractor, he told us that our boards were clearly treated lumber, not untreated lumber and that this wouldn't be good to contain dirt for food-growing purposes. I thought the lumber looked greenish when we got it, but I figured since we had asked for untreated lumber, it was indeed untreated. But I thought wrong. Then, when our farmer friend used his tractor with the rototiller attachment, he found really good soil under there. "Sandy loam" he called it, which, when amended with some well rotted manure that we also got from the farmer, the garden patch looked terrific!
Changes that cause me to deviate from my plan will often really throw me off for a while. But I've been trying to be less attached to certain outcomes, and this time it took me just a few minutes to adapt to the new situation instead of the hour or two it usually takes, while I sit and stew and wish things could be the way I wanted them to be. This time I managed to realize that that time would be much better spent planting than fretting and moping.
And by the end of the day, we had a garden!
Port Bruce: Still Alive and Well (2).
2 weeks ago