Saturday 31 May 2008

Disappointing response...

We received a response back from our Alberta MLA this week, and I was underwhelmed to say the least. I had hoped that a brand new MLA in his first elected post might be a bit more enthusiastic. Here is the letter we sent him, and below is what he sent back:

Dear Theresa and Gord;

Thank you for you letter of May 1, 2008 outlining suggestions for government to consider.


I have reviewed your letter with interest and noted your concerns. I have forwarded copies of your letter to my colleagues in Caucus of their review and response.


I appreciate your writing to share your concerns.


Kindest regards,

Jeff Johnson, MLA, Athatbasca-Redwater

That's it. I mean, it's nice he sent it off to his colleagues and all, but what about HIS response. This is quite disappointing, but not unexpected. I'll have to send a follow up letter I guess, asking directly for his response to my concerns, and then make the dreaded follow up call to the constituency office. I wish I wasn't such a chicken about that phone-call stuff.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm chicken about the phoning stuff too. And yeah, the reply sucked. But then, call me jaded, I guess a form letter is about all I expect from my political reps. I still think you rock for writing!

Hanley Tucks said...

You'll get that non-response a good part of the time. But that's okay, just keep writing your letters each season, eventually some of them will listen and then the others just follow along...:)

G. Harrison said...

still no word back to me from Peter McKay re UXOs (unexploded shells) in Canadian waters.

however, Federal Liberal MP Glen Pearson (originally from Calgary I believe) did go ahead with his first of several climate change presentations in London as he said he would.

wheels turn slowly.

thanks for comment re Blue Gold; I recently finished The Little Green Handbook (R. Nielsen) and Heat (G. Monbiot) so there is now room on my list.

Theresa said...

Hmm, I thought I left a comment here a couple days ago - I wonder where it went? Anyway, I have written another letter, this time to my municipal government and have posted about it today, June 3rd.

Anonymous said...

I can't do the phone call thing either. Plus I think letters are better anyway because they are traceable.

Bravo for taking the time to write! Keep writing.