Sunday 3 June 2007

New Beginnings

So I'm taking the plunge and starting a little garden. I have been reading a couple other people's blogs, and it seems like Square Foot Gardening is the way to go. So today, Gord and I made this 4 foot by 4 foot raised garden bed, out of some scrap lumber we had lying around in a pile. It took a lot longer than we thought it would to build, but it turned out quite well!

I have to get some weed barrier cloth to put down first, string up the grids, and then I will start adding my soil mixture. Apparently equal parts peat moss, vermiculite and compost is the way to go, but I don't want to use peat moss because it is a (virtually) non-renewable resource. So I will use 1/3 dirt that the ants around our yard have kindly dug up for us. And the rest will be compost and vermiculite. I hope to get the garden in by next weekend for sure! It is already starting to get kind of late in the growing season, but I will give it a whirl and see what I can grow.