I first laid down two layers of weed barrier cloth, and then started mixing up my soil. I think I finally ended up with about 1/3 compost which we made ourselves over the past two seasons, 1/3 dirt that our local ants dug up for us, 1/6 coconut fibre (instead of peat moss) and 1/6 vermiculite. It reminded me of my old Tree Nursery days! Except that I had no fancy dirt-mixing equipment, just a wheelbarrow, buckets, a spade and my two hands.
It took me about 5 1/2 hours from when I started putting down the weed barrier cloth, to when I finished planting 14 of my 16 square foot sections. I have no idea if I've planted the seeds too close together or too deep, but I guess I'll find out. I'm not sure if the soil is deep enough either, but I will wait and see. I don't want foot-long carrots anyway!
The two sections with no label on them are for pre-sprouted lettuce I will buy from the Root Seller and plant there - it's cheating a bit, but what the heck, I want something to be growing. I do have two kinds of parsley, thyme, oregano, rue and chives growing already in my little flower bed beside the house, which I can harvest already (a bit at a time).
Here is the grid/list of things that I have planted:
|Sugar Sprint Peas||Rainbow Chard||Senger Farm Spinach||Leaf Beat|
|Red Comet Radish||Slobolt Cilantro||Feverfew||Lettuce|
|SF Nantes Carrots||Italian Sweet Pepper||Glacium Flavium||Lettuce|
|Chanteray Carrots||Cutting Celery||Basil Thyme||Catgrass Oats|