Thursday 28 August 2008

Wetland Drainage - Another Letter to the County

I've finally managed to gather my thoughts together and compose another letter to my County mayor and councilors about the wetland drainage issue. You can take a look at my first draft here.

I seem to have regained some of my vim and vigor, and I'm ready to keep pressing my elected representatives on this issue. Thanks so much to those of you who have offered to write letters to my county mayor expressing concern about this practice of wetland drainage! It's wrong to drain a wetland ecosystem in any event, but to drain it just to get 'free' water for a construction project is reprehensible!

Thanks also to Ryan from the St. Albert Gazette, who contacted me about the possibility of doing a story on this issue. Even if it never goes any farther than that, the fact that this kind of thing is considered potentially newsworthy in this province gives me hope that all is not lost.

Please do feel free to comment with feedback and/or suggestions to help me improve this first draft of my letter. I'm trying to strike a tone that conveys passionate concern, but not hostility. I don't want to alienate people I hope to be in regular communication with, now that I am getting down to the business of being an engaged citizen in my community.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you standing up for the wetlands. They are a very precious habitat, and one you can receive funding to restore in my area. Why not avoid messing them up in the first place? I'm sure the mighty $$ is significant in the development equation - it always is!

Theresa said...

Thanks Alison :) The almighty dollar is certainly a factor, I just wish it wasn't always the only factor. I'm trying to draw attention to some of the other factors that should be considered - I guess we'll see how well that goes. This wetland area is pretty much toast for this year, but maybe they will leave it alone next year. That's what I'm hoping for, anyway.