Sunday 31 August 2008

Canada's first Green Party MP!

It finally happened! The Green Party of Canada has its first Member of Parliament. I heard something about it on the news yesterday on the way to meet my parents for lunch, and then my dad filled me in on the details when I got there. Previous Liberal MP Blair Wilson who had been sitting as an independent, has joined the Green Party and so now is a Green MP. Parliament isn't in session at the moment, and probably won't be for some time, if the Prime Minister goes ahead and calls an election. (The PM had said he wouldn't, that he wanted fixed election dates and wouldn't call an election until October of 2009, but I guess all the Obama-o-rama down south has him a bit worried!)

So now that the Greens have an MP, this should mean that the leader of the Green Party of Canada, Elizabeth May, gets a spot in the nationally televised elections! I'm hoping this signals a change in Canadian politics at last, but I being the cynic I have become, I won't believe it until I see it. I do hope for it though, and I imagine that once Canadians hear more about Green policies, they'll vote Green in the largest numbers ever! It sure would be nice to have an elected Green MP or three in the House.

Just like for our neighbors to the south, it's time for a change. After all, if we want things to be different, we have to do them differently.

No comments: