Sunday 10 February 2008

A quick repurpose and reuse....

I had a combination of inspirations over the past couple of days that led me to "invent" this orange peel woodstove fire helper. I read in a magazine from the health food store that dried orange peel can be used for kindling, because the orange oil in it combusts nicely.

Then I read in my Mother Earth News magazine that you can use toilet paper rolls cut in half with the ends folded in to make mini seed-starting pots. I tried that, but they were too small to be practical. (I will probably take Chile's advise and use newspaper instead.) But I figured if I tossed the dried orange peels into the toilet paper rolls and folded both ends: eureka! And the "orange peel fire helper" was born.

2 comments:

Chile said...

Cool! I just set aside a bunch of lemon peels today to dry for fire starters, even though I don't have a fire place or woodstove. I figured I'd find someone who could use them. My sweetie does use the TP rolls for seeds, though, such as herbs.

Theresa said...

So the little half-tubes aren't too small to be practical?