Saturday 1 September 2007

The Scourge that is Junk Mail

Last month when my niece and I took a trip to the Earth's General Store I picked up a label for my mailbox that would identify it as a "junk mail free zone." The sticker will apparently prevent, or at least discourage, Canada Post staff from putting assorted junk mail into my mailbox.

So far, the little 2 inch square sticker has been languishing on the kitchen counter. Today, being up far too early for a Saturday morning and feeling strangely productive, I picked up the sticker along with its equally diminutive recycled newsprint backer, and turned it over. Lo and behold, there was a web address to the Canadian Marketing Association website, where I can register to have my name and address removed from their database, from where apparently "most direct mail marketers rent names." That's right, rent names. So when you read somewhere that they don't sell your address to others for marketing purposes, they are telling the truth, technically: they rent them instead.

So anyway, I signed right up and as soon as I leave the house today I'm slapping that little sticker on our mailbox!

2 comments:

Lori said...

I signed up too Theresa!!

PS - Check my blog for your award!!!

Theresa said...

Good for you for signing up Lori! I think the sticker is working already - hardly any flyers and no "to occupant" or equivalent stuff in the mailbox so far.

Thank you so much for the award! You are too kind :) I will be passing it on shortly....