Sunday 21 October 2007

LIghting the Woodstove...

I love fire. My most favorite thing to do when camping (which doesn't happen often) is to make, light and tend the fire. My second favorite thing is to boil water over the campfire to make camping tea, which is for some reason distinctly better than every day tea.

So today was a good day for me: I got to light the woodstove for the first time this year. I've been popping downstairs every half hour or so to make sure it's still burning and/or to throw on another piece of wood. Adjust the damper, put more water in the cast iron kettle, adjust the eco-fan to the most productive angle, and on and on it goes. Tending a fire makes me feel productive and relaxed at the same time, and it just doesn't get any better than that.

Last year I missed out on woodstove season because Winter came so fast we had no wood cut at all. This year we are fortunate to have a virtually unlimited supply of firewood, thanks to our neighbors who have cut down many trees on their property in preparation for building their house. They've been preparing for about three or four years now, so there's quite a supply of seasoned wood available. They have been giving the wood away and offered some to us as well this year. I wish they wouldn't have cut down so many trees, but we can't stop them so at least they are helping keep down our heating and electricity bills with the wood. And of course this helps us greatly as we participate in the "Freeze Yer Buns" Challenge.

Gotta go! I'm sure it's time to throw another log on the fire...

3 comments:

Chile said...

I love wood stoves and watching the flames, fiddling with the fire, and the whole sensory experience. I even love chopping the wood. But...I live in the desert and have no need of one. :(

Theresa said...

Fires are cozy alright! They make the long snowy nights easier to deal with. What types of low temperatures do you get to in the desert?

I have to remember to weigh out how much wood we use per fire, so I can calculate it into our 90% reduction numbers...

Chile said...

We have a few freezes, but not usually more than one or two hard ones a year.