Sunday 5 August 2007

Tale of Two Farmers

Today I did two things I've been wanting to do for quite a while: go visit the Lola Canola apiary, and go strawberry picking at Prairie Gardens and Greenhouses.

I came home with a load of locally-produced goodness, which you can see in the picture above. Produce just doesn't get any more local than this, unless I were to raise bees and strawberries myself. Both of these places are within 2 1/2 miles of our house, as the crow flies. Even better news is that both places are sources of just more than honey and strawberries. Lola Canola also raises free range, grass fed laying hens, so I can get eggs there. And Prairie Gardens also has U-Pick peas and U-Dig potatoes.

Tomorrow I'm going to try my hand at making jam for the first time in my life!

No comments: